Sunday, August 31, 2008

Der Lange Nacht der Museem...

A post made in the same city it happened in...OMG!

So, kind of funny. I kept asking people how much the Long Night at the Museum cost, and my classmates and instructors kept saying free, and I kept doubting it. So, for those of you who want to know, a student card was 10€ on the day of the event. (That's $15.) You know, if I hadn't just spent the last three weeks at museum after museum with the expectation of the next three weeks being full of museums, I simply wasn't thrilled. If everyone else put up the cash I might have gone, but I think it was just Rachel S who bothered.

Anne, Prano, Phil (for a while), Kareem, MinJeung, Wonkyung, Jackie, Rachel K, Levi and I all went to this art market next to it. It mostly consisted of stalls with a bunch of paintings and even more prints. Practically all of them were good. I don't know if I saw more than three stalls that I didn't want a painting from. They also had some food, soap, lots of jewelry, wooden carvings, glassware and stuff, but most of it was in fact paintings. Possibly my favorite was this artist that did dozens of paintings with an ultrablue sky, ultragreen (several colors of bright green, in fact) grass, and a farm animal dropped onto the landscape like an imprecise photoshopper. Most of them were the classic Holstein cows, but there were a few sheep and pigs. Most seemed to be silkscreened paintings of Berlin, and these were basically gorgeous. I bought a card with a fox in socks, a postcard of a colorful fish, a postcard with a purple cat, and an old metal cup that I intend to use as a vase. (This made it an expensive day, as I bought a pair of earrings and a video earlier.)

After that, we sat on the museum steps and listened to the bands. It was a really great atmosphere, along the same lines as sitting in Seattle drinking coffee, but it was outdoors and a beautiful night. I bought a crepe with chocolate sauce. ^.^

No comments: